- Abilities First
Autism Learning Center
Potential is made Possible at Abilities First. We believe that every child has the potential to learn. We work to identify areas of strength and challenge, and create an individualized program that supports their unique needs. Established in 2009, our Autism Learning Center is specifically designed for preschool, kindergarten and first grade students on the Autism spectrum.
The Autism Learning Center is an Autism Scholarship Provider. Programs are designed to meet each individual student at their current level and help move them to achieve their highest potential.
Our Autism Learning Center addresses individual needs by using state-of-the-art teaching techniques, small class sizes and a structured environment to help promote a successful transition into the next grade level.
Autism Learning Center featuring our 4Plus1 Preschool Program
4Plus1 Preschool Program offers a preschool curriculum for four days in a classroom environment with behavioral and therapeutic interventions on a daily basis. Classroom therapies include ABA, speech, physical, occupational, music and animal-assisted therapy (hands on pet therapy typically scheduled one time per week). The 5th day of the week is an exclusive option only offered by Abilities First. The 5th day allows parents to choose from a menu of services including a home visit, an off-site engagement for training, additional occupational, physical, speech therapy or one-on-one ABA therapy.
Abilities First Autism Learning Center focuses on teaching students the skills necessary to manage their own environment and build social relationships. Whether it is in a classroom, a trip to the grocery or a play date at a neighbor’s home your child will begin to learn skills that will last a lifetime. Another goal of the Autism Learning Center is to teach your child the skills to successfully make a transition to your local school district.
When your child graduates from the Autism Learning Center, they will be well equipped with the skills to engage in one of these classroom environments:
- Kindergarten or 1st grade at local school district
- Kindergarten or 1st grade at local school district with Special Ed Support
- Specialized School for students with autism
- Home Schooling
Our 4 Plus1 Preschool Program
- Five day per week school year program designed to promote successful transition of children into local school districts by providing an individualized, integrated and comprehensive preschool learning experience
- Low teacher to child ratio
- Staff include: State Licensed Special Education Teacher, Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), State Licensed Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapist, Teachers with combined 15+ years of experience working with children with special needs 1:1 programming incorporated daily in class
- Additional 1:1 ABA teaching and physical, occupational and speech therapy available for a fee (therapies can be billed to insurance)
- ABA principles underlie all classroom activities based on each child's individual needs, DIR/Floortime, Hanen, PECS, TEACCH, Assistive Technology, Sensory-Motor Integration and Therapeutic Listening are also used
- Group and individual Physical, Occupational and Speech Language Therapy, Music Therapy and Animal Assisted Therapy
Autism Learning Center
- Educational content aligns with Ohio Department of Education learning standards
- IEP requirements followed
- Inclusion activities on-site
- Routine parent teacher conferences
- Family Advocate/Social Worker to assist with family needs
- Regularly scheduled home and community visits to help families generalize and carry over approaches used and skills learned into daily life and problem solve critical issues
- Assistance with transitioning into local school districts
- On-site year-round childcare provided at additional cost
- Additional year round outpatient therapies and specialized summer programming (subject to availability and additional cost)